the 6th m.H. century, the settlement is presented constituted, with organised
form of urban life. The third JOetj'a of 9th aj. the Andaloy'sjoj ¢raves
that conquered Crete select as their capital the small city, him fortify
and it becomes for first time capital of island with the name "Ha'ndax".
The effort of Nikiforos Fwka' to transport the city certain kilometres
more southern fructified. The second Byzantine period, from cause of
castle of fortification, changes the name of city and becomes again "Castle".
The Galino'tati Democracy of Adrj'a, afterwards the Venetjki' possession
of 13th aj. decides elects the "Kingdom of Crete", as one from
the mainer possessions in the Eastern Mediterranean and the "Ha'ndaka" his
capital. The delivery in their Toy'rkoys in 1669 after poly'hroni siege
restores the name "Castle, in the city that is maintained until
That year, the commissioner of Crete Micheal Afentoy'ljef gives in the
city and in the province her old name "Heraklions".
A city with more from 2.500 hro'nja history, chronologically has changed
the following names: Initial, unknown. Heraklion.Heraklions. Castle. RabdhKhndaq.
Ha'ndax. Big Castle. Candida. Candia. Country. Piazza Kandiqe. Heraklion.
The capital, but also of Crete is one of the largest cities in Greece. The
the form was founded by the Saracens in 827 Chandakas by name, which comes
from ochyromatika projects around the city. The name is maintained during the
Byzantine and Venetian era, during which lasts atis the city is a commercial
and military center. Under the Turkish city loses its basic role in the island.
After the unification of Crete with Greece in Heraklion again becomes a central
role in the economic life of the island mainly because of its geographical
position. It consists of the old city that is enclosed in the Venetian walls
and the News, which has spread outside the walls. At the entrance of the old
Venetian limanioiy, you receive one of the most imposing monuments of Crete
Venetian fortress, called Koules.
WORTH TO VISIT
The Venetian walls surrounding part of the city and form interesting entrances
to the commercial and financial center of Irakleiou.I Chanioporta is one
of them, and conclusion of the national road Chania - Rethymnon - Irakleiou.Mesa
the walls are most of the sights of the city . No one deserves to see the
Basilica San Marco, built in 1239, now used for exhibitions conferences and
meetings. Nearby, the square Venizelos, is the Fountain of the Moro-zini
part which gathers the youth of the city polis.To City Hall is restored Venetian
building, the Lo-tza, and is also at the beginning of the square Venizelos.
Beside, there is the church of St. Titus, likely to be built in 961 and since
then has been destroyed and restored several times. On the south side of
the walls, the grave of Nikos Kazantzakis, with a view of the whole city
and the Venetian port. The castle at the harbor entrance, is an impressive
building, which even now gives the feeling of grandeur and security that
inspired the Venetians conquerors of the island. Today, it houses various
In many churches of Heraklion one can admire valuable icons of the Byzantine
era and beyond. Saint Catherine, located in Catherine Square, houses the museum
of religious art, with several of the best images Cretan kosmo.O temple built
in the 15th century was monastically part of a school which was one of the
centers of the Cretan Renaissance. Some of the most famous students was Vitsi-ntzos
Kornaros, author of the questions and judges Michael Damascus, hagiographer
who is known, because introduced in Byzantine art depth and prooptiki.Fysika
the famous El Greco was considered to student the School of Michael and modern
In the same square is the cathedral of Saint Mina, a majestic building of the
19th century, and just in front, the original church of Agios Minas, with interesting
medieval building decoration and pictures. From the square route starts Venizelos
1866, in which the market polyvoi of Iraklion and ends at the square Kornarou,
with the wonderful Turkish source.
The Historical Museum contains collections of the city, which cover the historical
period between the prehistoric Knossos and the current era. In the museum
are sculptures and architectural fragments from the Byzantine and Venetian
Turkish periodo.Episis there are rooms with representations of modern Cretan
history (N. Kazantzakis, E. Tsouderos) and photographic and other material
from the German occupation. Finally, a section of the museum is devoted to
folk art and traditional siko lifestyle.
The Archaeological Museum of Heraklion near Freedom Square houses the largest
and most comprehensive collection finds the Minoan period. The first of the
twenty halls of the museum, includes findings and Prepalatial the Neolithic
period (5000-2000 BC), from different parts of Crete, including figurines of
the goddess of fertility, vases Royal pace, stone jars from the Mochlos and
gold jewelry. In Room 2 you can see findings from the Knossos and Malia between
2000 and 1700 BC (pre palatial period). Highlights are the clay figurines from
the sacred peak, and vases from the arches. The third room is dedicated to
Festos the same period, with the largest exhibit of the Phaistos disk that
is dtiagmenos clay and decorated with hieroglyphics that despite the various
galleries on the meaning of them remain largely mysterious to scientists. The
Room 4 is dedicated to the New Palace period (1700-1450 BC). The findings come
from the palace of Knossos, Malia and Festus, popular with the Rhyton bull-shaped
head and two figurines of the goddess with snakes. In the hall 5, findings
are mainly from the palace of Knossos at the end of the New Palace period (1450-1400
BC). It is possible to see examples of Linear A and B, and Egyptian exhibits,
suggesting the trade relations between the Minoan Crete with other nations.
The room 6, includes findings from the cemeteries of Knossos, Festus and Archanes
the same period, namely some of the finest jewelry available at the museum.
In room 7, the exhibits come from the New Palace and Postpalatial period with
representative samples of the stone jars the Holy Trinity and the collection
of jewels from Malia, which owns the complex of the two melisson.I Room 8,
contains findings from the palace in Zakros with interesting vases decorated
with motifs inspired by the marine and plant kosmo.Stin hall 9, the findings
from other parts of eastern Crete and include an extensive collection of stamps
and seals. In the hall 10, starts the Sub-period (1400-1100 BC) during which
Crete was under Mycenaean on-stream. Distinguish the exhibits of the goddess
who prance and women dancing. In the hall 11, there are exhibits of early Geometric
period (1100-900 BC). The era of iron appear in the majority of tools and oplon.I
room 12, contains findings and characteristics of anatolizousas geometric period
(c. 900-650 C.). The Hall 13, containing sarcophagi from different periods
of Minoan history. The rooms 14.15 and 16, is perhaps the most impressive since
the museum containing frescoes from the Minoan era palaces and the overwhelming
majority of the Knossos neopalatikis period (1600-1400 BC). There one can see
the prince to judge the dolphins tafrokatharpsia, the frescoes of the ceremonial
corridor of the famous Knossos Parisienne, and other well-known murals. The
room 17, houses the collection Giamalaki findings with different seasons and
the 18th House, continues the chronological order with findings of the archaic
period (650,500 BC). Finally, the 20th House, contains classic Greek sculpture
and Greco-samples. LOCAL GUIDE
The nightlife in Heraklion, has seasons and provides all kinds of fun. It is
considered one of the coolest cities across Europe. Old mansions have been
converted into restaurants, coffee bars offering quality entertainment. Diner,
ouzeri, u-Rock stars, but also rebetiko, bars with live music make the unforgettable
nights of visitors. The «heart» of the city, especially in Korai
and Chandakos until proias suffocated from the world. There is no need to inquire
about where to go. Simply follow the «current .. As for the separate
places, especially for good traditional food, the learning easy. There are
many, are separate and we'll confirm that the Cretans even know to eat well
and have fun too. Mimic them and you lose. Every summer organized by the Municipality
of Heraklion festival (July-September). It includes exhibitions, concerts,
theatrical performances and more.
EXCURSIONS - SPORT
To the east of Iraklion, are the beaches of the municipality, near the airport
and Amnissos. To the west is the beach of Ammoudara. In both directions,
often there are buses from Freedom Square.
Sports equipment for the Sea you'll find on most beaches, and in all major
hotels. The Alpine club organizes excursions in Psiloritis, and there is equestrian
clubs, Antisfairiseos Group, and many basketball in the city. Certainly deserves
to make trips and get to know the entire prefecture of Iraklion with the wonderful
and above the centers of the villages of. Starting from the Freedom Square
after 3 kms A., you will find the tourist suburb of Iraklion New Alikarnassos,
and after 5 kilometers left is Paliochora the hill, around which was the ancient
Amnisos, seaport of Knossos. Going 13 km east of Iraklion find the Red Hani
tourist resort, with many taverns and holiday centers. Continuing after 2 km,
will move from the beach Gournes. After 5 km you will reach the beach Gouves
or Phoenix, with many hotels and holiday centers, and a waiver of the right
road leading to the village Gouves. In the valley of the Central Iraklion is
a quiet and fertile place with small villages to hide natural and historical
treasures. In Kastelli one can see medieval churches with frescoes. Shortly
Arkalohori the south is known for its cave discovered in Mycenaean findings,
and the church of the Archangel Michael with frescoes of the 15th century.
USEFUL TELEPHONE NUMBERS CODE (081)
Municipality 245245, EOT 228825, Tourist Police 283130, Hellenic Alpine Club
of 227,609, 269,111 Hospital, KTEL 288,544, Radio-taxi 210102-210168.
There are hotels and rooms - apartments.
Modern tourist settlement that unfolds in a apa'nemo gulf. With the beach
of Wicker, that abstains hardly 1 km, they constitute simultaneously also a
graphic cluster, with traditional colour, that has remained anepire'asto from
the movement paracerjstw'n. The settlement allocates completely tourist infrastructure
and clean sea, in his extensive polyplicej's beaches.
IT DESERVES YOU VISIT
The Cave acquaintance with the name "Finding" because there was found
the picture of Saint.
Speculate that here found itself the ancient city Apollw'nja. Excavations in
the place Kladwto's, brought in the light mjnwjka' and hellenistic discoveries,
as booth-ejdej's graves, laxeyme'noj in graves of ysteromjna'j'ki's period.
Was discovered the Prytanej'o, that htj'stike 4th and was destroyed the 2nd
aj. p.H. and the Chamber of deputies of arhaj'as Dorian city, kacw's home and
a laboratory of ceramics.
CAMPAIGNS – SPOR
You will swim in the splendid clean beaches of settlement and region and will
enjoy all the charms of sea.
Exist hotels and rooms – apartments.
Village built in altitude 400 m. and today constitutes municipality. It is
selectively famous for the table grapes (rozakja') his his and most excellent
pojo'ittas wine. You will find a lot of graphic kafeneda'kja and tavernoy'les.
It abstains 15 km from the Heraklion.
IT DESERVES YOU VISIT
The Foyrnj', that abstains one km D. place in which was discovered the bigger
proj!storjko' cemetery of Aegean. Temple Anemo'spilja, that abstains 5 km
N.D. of Arhanw'n, and is the unique until today, known Mjnwjko's temple.
The Mjnwjki' Villa of Vacype'troy, in distance of 5 km N. where the excavations
that began from Spyros Marjna'to, brought in the light the building that
is dated in 1600 - 1550. the discoveries of Arhanw'n, are looked after in
the "Archaeological Faculty Arhanw'n", in a old municipal school.
Exist hotels and rooms – apartments.
USEFUL TELEPHONES CODE (081)
Municipality 751898, First Aids 751882.Astynomj'a 751811.
Five hardly kilometres from the Heraklion are biggest than the Mjnwjka' palaces
have not passed nor 100 years from archaeological excavations of Evans in that
part what proved that the Mjnwjko's culture existed in the reality the palace
of Knwssoy' a'kmase for more than 3000 years and continued having one intense
presence even afterwards the end of mjnwjki's season the palace, is constituted
by a central courtyard, round which are developed royal apartments, spaces
of adoration, stocking spaces, laboratories, internal courtyards corridors
a theatrical region and auxiliary buildings. In the Mjnwjki' season the palace
were administrative, religious, industrial, political, military and commercial
centre of ypolej'mata buildings that meets the visitor, belongs in their majority
in the second palace that htj'stike above in first, afterwards the destruction
1700 p.H., and his current form is owed by far in the restorations ser ¢rcoyr